Friday, October 10, 2008

Getting Back To It All

Folks,
My sincerest apologies for the lack of posts this last couple of weeks. I've been home on leave as many of you know, and so that has been in the forefront of my mind. So, appropriately enough, this will be about the leave time and getting back. I'm still not really "back" to it all yet, as I'm stuck in Ali Al Salem, lovely Kuwait. Most folks don't like Ali, simply because it's Kuwait: way too hot, no cover, nothing but sand and buildings. Add to all that, it's a waystation for most of us, nothing more. For all that, it's not too shabby. I can get online here for a sawbuck and do stuff like this, allegedly they have a couple of gym tents and a couple MWR tents, which I might go find later (or not). In addition to the DFAC, there's a McDonalds, Pizza Hut and a Green Bean Coffee shop, so all of one's needs are cared for, almost. At this point, I'm figuring that I'll keep going on this odd body clock thing that I have, post, eat, shave, etc.

Leave was good. I didn't do everything I wanted to do, but the time was well spent. My parents came down, which was awesome! I hadn't played golf in years, so it was good to get out on the links. Plus, I don't think I'd seen them in a long, long time, so seeing and spending time with them was nice. Spent an evening with the Devines and the Kempfs, which was great (Joe - when do we do a minimarathon?)! My goddaughter came over and she, and Kim and some friends and I all went out, which was cool, and otherwise I just really enjoyed folks visiting, stopping in and just hanging out. I started 15 gallons of wine and got it all into secondary fermentation, so that's a good thing. Thanks to Kim needing practice, I got a couple massages, and we went out and played more golf. All in all, a pleasurable time home.

Most folks asked me what it's like for me, living in Iraq. I gathered a popular impression is that it's like Vietnam in the desert. It is not. Sure, it's hot, dusty, and all that. Yes, there are dangerous places there. Mostly we still enjoy most of the comforts of home to a certain degree. Some posts have more stuff than we have, some have less. We get shelled occasionally. Keep in mind, "shelling" is like one or two rockets and that's all. 90% of the time, that all hits away from where we stay and work. Outside the wire, it's more dangerous, but that is also a matter of degree. By no means is it a constant set of attacks on us, one right after the other. For all that, it's dangerous, so Soldiers keep their guards up and stay vigilant to the dangers around them. We do our part and keep the bad guys off the base, which is our job. I work most of the time, workout three or four times a week (more now that we have a PT test coming up), watch movies or play on the laptop in my off time, maybe smoke a cigar with others outside, and otherwise talk to Kim almost daily. The worst part is being away from Kim and other loved ones. The second worst part is the process of getting here and getting home. By necessity, it's complicated, which means we spend a lot of time on our tails. Usually I don't mind being here, but it's not home.

So, that's all for now while I'm in transit. I need to get some food, get cleaned up and crash for a bit

Before I sign off, I'd like to congratulate Matt & Laura on the birth of their son! You guys will be great parents!

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Major

Thanks for the Shout Out about the baby Abid. We appreciate. Was hoping to hear from you, but I know you were busy, so when are get back in December, I have an arogant bastard waiting for you when you get here.

Take care, God Bless and be safe.

Diba

Anjie said...

Mark, you have nothing to apologize for. You spent the time the best way you could, enjoying the time with Kim and your parents and friends.
I am bummed I didn't get to hang out with you and Paul the night you two were able to connect.
For now, just stay focused on the fact it won't be long until you return home for good, and for a while at least we will have both South brothers stateside.
I greatly look forward to it.