Sunday, August 31, 2008

I think It's Dad's Fault

Today at lunch I had an interesting experience. As is my sometimes practice, I was sitting with a group of folks from the Mayor Cell. We're an eclectic bunch, us Mayor Cell types, and attract a rather eclectic selection of people from all over the FOB, for as many reasons as there are people in our little clique. One of the soldiers sitting with us complimented me saying that, three days ago, when I was walking one way and she and another soldier were walking another, I really impressed the other soldier by stopping and talking and generally being me. Apparently this other kid had expected a Major to act like some sort of ogre, and just be unreasonable and stuffy and that kind of thing. So I got a compliment, so what? Thing is, I get this often. Enlisted soldiers are surprised when I talk to them instead of at them, they're confounded when I ask a question and stand there, looking at them, waiting for them to answer (NB: I call that a "conversation", or at least part of one). So I began to think about this and it's led me to a couple conclusions.

First conclusion is maybe they have a skewed vision of what Majors are really like. I mean, most of the guys I know are Officers, and a few are Majors, and most of them are pretty decent fellows. So, maybe the Majors they know in the Regiment are normal folks and the enlisted folks just don't know them. The only problem with that line, I've met some of the other Majors, to whom I'm referring. I don't particularly like them either. The talented ones are way overworked, the untalented ones are immature. Some of them still look at us down their noses (NB: we ignore this, knowing if we, as Mayor Cell and BDOC sat down on the job, the Regiment would be hard pressed to manage without us), and some talk to us like we're equals. Most of them are the latter group, not the former. So, all that to say there might be something to the compliment giver's point of view. Their view of Majors isn't necessarily skewed, but it is limited, unfortunately, to a very few who aren't all that great to start with. I take some issue with this, as I really don't like to see my peer group have that poor of a following among the enlisted. Let's face it, there are more EMs than field grade officers. Most of those EMs are willing to work their tails off with a simple "please" or "thank you" and just treating them respectfully. The Army does a great job a stripping our dignity in certain circumstances. Those of us with rank can get a lot done simply by allowing soldiers to maintain what dignity they have.

Second, I blame most of this on my Dad. See, when we were kids (NB: my use of the first person plural in reference to myself indicates I'm speaking of Paul and of me, because we were usually together all the time as kids), Dad would sometimes take us to his school and we'd goof around, he'd work or do whatever, and we'd go around with him when he'd make his rounds. It was pretty cool. The best part was that he'd talk to EVERYBODY in that building - cooks, janitors, teachers, parents, crossing guards, everybody. And you know what? Every one of them were treated with the same amount of respect and dignity. That's a big deal. Now that I'm in kind of a similar position, I find myself (and Paul) doing a lot of the same stuff we saw Dad doing. Thing of it is, regardless of the setting or industry or nationality, treating folks with respect and dignity goes a long, long way. Thanks Dad.

This week has been like trying to take a drink from a firehose. For the most part, that's due to one company bringing in hundreds of new workers, and two other companies preparing to get out of here. Both of these activities involve me intimately, as all of those folks have badges and I'm in charge of the stinking badges. But, September's around the corner and things are a'movin' and a'shakin'. All of this is good.

In other news, more cigars showed up. This time I decided to buy some singles and try new things: 5 Vegas Classic, 5 Vegas Gold and 5 Vegas Series A. I know the Golds are very good, and am looking forward to trying the other two. I'm hoping the weather breaks a little more over the next couple of weeks. Those who are native to these parts say it will. Not that I can't deal with triple digits, but like shovelling snow, it gets old.

Other than that, I have started the third and final phase of ILE, your tax dollars hard at work, thanks.

13 and 3

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Anjie said...

Your father is a good man. :) He impressed the best lesson upon his sons that he could, and that's regardless of rank, the people wearing those uniforms are just that, people. I've known more men with more scrambled eggs on their body than I care to recall, and like the EM you speak of, I have seen few that recognize that singular fact. When I wore the badge it was the largest reason I could give tickets or even arrest someone and instead of calling the Chief to complain, they'd call and give kudos. Weird, but he got used to it after the first few years.

For the most part, especially when it comes to combat officers, the number of those who treat people as people reduces significantly. In part perhaps due to compartmentalization, and in part out of simple apathy I suppose. Some may not even recognize that they do it, simply because they did not have a role model that did not do the same, as such the patterning they developed was simply due to example. People are a product of their experiences; you patterned after your father, many others after men they respected in roles they themselves attained later on. You had the advantage of having a wise man to follow in the footsteps in, and that is a great advantage. Utilize it, and it will win you not only the loyalty of the men that follow you, but their respect and admiration as well. Some that may eventually attain an officer's rank will recall it, and they in turn will pass it along to another. So you're currently creating a pattern for others to follow some day in the future. Pretty cool huh? :)

austrohoosier said...

Being a former abuser of the tobacco leaf in its myriad forms (except for between the gums), I've but one thing to say: please don't ever wear dark glasses and smoke a corncob pipe...you're in the wrong theater for that, anyway.

Cheers mate,

el jefe