Monday, May 12, 2008

Take a stand, please!!

Originally, after having dealt with a slightly awkward situation, this post was going to be a rant about the Army. I know, say it isn’t so. So here it is, Bottom Line Up Front: We lack leaders who are willing to stand up and be adults about things. In my mind, adults take responsibility for things, they “own” things. So here’s what happened. This guy brings some people in to be badged. In the process of doing so, mentions that other individuals in the group really want to be badged a “higher” color than they get. So I did the whole, “hey, understand you have a tough situation having to deal with these guys” thing. Honestly though, it boils down to one thing: being an adult. At some point, somebody, probably me, will need to look these individuals square in the eye and say something like, “Gents, I understand you want this particular color of badge. That’s not policy in this theater of operations. You can rant and posture and throw tantrums, but doing so won’t change your badge color. Simply put, that’s how the situation is. Nobody here can change that for you.” To be honest, I was really nice and understanding about it. I wouldn’t like having to deal with the whining about badge color either. So there it is. I seek to help shape leaders to stand up and be adults. To take responsibility for their actions. It’s an “old school” approach to leadership, I realize that, but we can no longer afford to have leaders who won’t do so.

Tomorrow I hit the weight stacks again!! Strangely enough, I’ve missed it as I’ve tried to allow the rib to heal (I tripped over a jersey barrier at night the first week I got here, then lifted through like two weeks of constant pain, wondering what the deal was). So back at it, now that the PT test is over.

I checked out the comments, followed one of the links and was inspired to get literary. So, here’s some Shakespeare, in a vain attempt at bringing the literary value of the blog up some:

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

Oddly enough, I got this from a Steve Martin movie years ago...the whole thing was a ton of vignettes from Shakespeare.

We would not die in that man's company That fears his fellowship to die with us.

Enjoy!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

nicely put uncle mark. sucks about the rib tho :(.

Anonymous said...

Tripped over a jersey barrier the first week you were there....

The jersey barriers that are 3 feet tall *holds hand over the ground* like this?

The Px has these really cheap lights that fit on a keychain and they are tactical (blue or green or red...). Just a thought. Mind you, no street lights.

Did the security guys catch you tripping on the JLENS camera?

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the mention,Mark!