Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Time For Reflection

We are calling this evening many things. The clever plan we thought we had for storing some of our equipment wasn't apparently as clever as it had been briefed, so some are busy preparing to track the stuff down tomorrow. Some are just hanging around in the barracks or here in the offices just hanging out. I, as you all can see, am writing. As I will not likely get another chance to post anytime soon (or at least until Kim's first package of stuff arrives), this is a good time to cover some items I've not yet covered.

First, thanks to friends and family who've made this time valuable to me. It's been challenging for me to stay focused on being present with you all, while at the same time not thinking about the road ahead. Dad said it best when he looked at me one day and said, "you're already in Iraq." Most of all, thank you Kim for being around and sticking to me like velcro. I know I wasn't always appreciative of it, but thanks for being more insistent than I about sticking close.

Next, thanks to everyone for offering to do stuff. This is where I grow practical. We all know that at some point in time, I'm going to call or write home and say, "hey, it'd be great to have this or that or the other." Most of those calls will go to Kim and she can farm them out as she sees fit. Most of that sort of thing will be me complaining about stuff, and can't really be actioned anyhow. Here's what I really want you all to do: take care of Kim. Drop by and have a cup of coffee with her at Borders, or go see a movie, or go have a beer, or whatever. Not all at once, and if I were you, I'd definitely call first (although there are times when with her it's just easier to show up and grab her). The grass will need to be mowed in the spring and summer, and I'd just as soon pay someone to do that than have someone dealing with it (so, recommendations are welcome). There's some odd settlement crack in the master bath that needs someone smarter in houses than I to look at it and figure out if it's serious or not. The carboys need to be rinsed well. All the crap I have just laying around in the garage should be boxed up for now. Kim, pick out the best four buttondown shirts I have and give the rest to charity. Same for the t-shirts. Grab the ones you never see me wear and give 'em to Goodwill. Or make Chiara do that. Oh, and someone should tell Kenny Lucas I have a ton of malt he's welcome to take, Brad gets the Gewurtztraminer kit in the brewery and there are no less than a dozen (yes, a dozen) dry beer yeast packets I'd like to donate to either the Ohio Valley Homebrewers (or whomever asks Kim first). They're not going to be viable when I return anyhow. Anything that gets Kim out of the house, does some little task, anything like that, is all greatly appreciated.

Oh, and I think there's some ice cream in the freezer to be eaten. I know there's some incredible espresso beans - around three pounds of them, whole - to be used. No, it's not Starbuck's, and I hate to think of them going bad. So, three pounds of Intelligentsia Black Cat Blend whole bean espresso to anyone who asks. Honest, you drink this stuff, you won't go back to anything else. I would offer my burr grinder to those who would BORROW it, but it needs to be back in its place by Dec 2008.

Lastly, thanks for following the blog. I'll keep updating and posting. All is well here in sunny Atterbury, and we're basically tying up some loose ends waiting on buses for Georgia. Aside from that, we're getting our collective heads back into the game, looking forward to the training and what we think we'll need coming up here in the next thirty to sixty days.

Don't know exactly what to expect, but it's game time.

Enjoy!

3 comments:

kelly barton art + design said...

i love you! have a safe journey.

ka3200 said...

You are awesome, Mark! I love you dearly!!! And now I know who to blame when I don't get a moment to myself with people calling and dropping by all the time! You are very good to me and I'm very proud of you. Always have been, always will be!

Anonymous said...

Did you say shirts? Can I take a look see through them?