Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Greetings from sunny Georgia!

We're here, we're on the FOB, we're training, we're learning and all
is, oddly enough, pretty good. Chow is plentiful, tasty and hot. On
that note, I've never eaten so much meat for breakfast and dinner in my
life. I'm beginning to think that going on an Atkins style diet would be
relatively easy, given the variety of chow we get here. The weather
started very cold - apparently 20 degree nights here in Georgia is
pretty chilly for these folks - but is now unseasonably warm. I look for
things to even out after the thunderstorms this weekend to a nice sunny
62 during the day and a very sleepable 30 or so at night. The tent has
plenty of room for all of us in it, hardwood floors and is heated. Hot
showers, hot water to shave with (will change my routine to showering
and shaving in the evenings) and relatively private latrines. I would
write about the PX trailers here, the barber and the Internet Cafe, but
I don't really have time to hit said PX, don't yet need a haircut and
the Internet Cafe is still not operational. Give it a few weeks, I
think.

Things happen every day, and every day things get a touch better.
Honestly, I don't have a whole lot to complain about. We spent six weeks
as a battalion between two AT periods doing nothing but running our own
field operations, tracking training data, reacting to last minute
changes, scrambling for more ranges and resources and life was fast. Here,
we just run operations. Sure, we have connexes to load, and a FOB to
manage, which takes time. But to get right down to it, life isn't too
bad. Naturally, I don't want to go out and train in the rain, but even
that is temporary.

After chatting with Kim, I have to thank you all for calling her up,
dragging her tail out to dinner and other things.

Not much to post this time, other to let you all know that my routines
are messed up, which means I'm beginning to wake up and force myself
into some sort of a routine, if for no other reason than to add some
illusion of control to my time and my days. I hate the rush in the
mornings at the sinks, so the next experiment is to shower and shave in the
evenings. If that proves to be a fight for space, I may have to beg Kim
for an electric razor. We'll see. Paul told me the sink space was at
a premium in theater, so, as with all things, it's a wait and see,
adjust and tweak sort of thing. The cots we have are pretty wide, Kim's
sent me my thermarest sleeping pad (another post will deal with the gear
I left behind this time and why I'm a dumbass for doing so), so it's
pretty comfy. It's been a long, long, long time since I've lived out of
a couple of duffel bags, so I repacked a little today and my space in
the tent should be very orderly and livable, which is a good thing. Mom
gave me this nifty cool thermal cup with a french press built into it,
along with a pound of coffee. Put a little coffee into the cup, tote
it to breakfast, fill it with hot water, and presto, great java. Mom,
you done well, thank you TONS!!

Training starts for us in the headquarters later this week in earnest.
Even that will be a good change of pace to cleaning up after tenant
units.

When it's all said and done, one more day gone gets me one more day
closer to Kim.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

South

Glad to know your doing good. All the Abid's up here are praying for you and hoping to see you soon.

Just checking in so you know the Diba's are reading.

Peace and Love

Diba

kelly barton art + design said...

hey mark.....so glad to see
you are updating. i have talked
to kim, via email/blog a few times.
on a happy note - gabe finished the 100 breast at 5th place in the conference. and took 3 secs off his i.m. cheri' started her internship today and clancy is playing bball.

peace...kelly