Sunday, September 14, 2008

One week left

OK, just one week until I go on leave. But I'll come back to this place, so it's all good. With that in mind, I figured folks would want to know what I plan to do with the time. So, in the spirit of that, I have some links! I already have a link to Kim's blog over there on the right hand side, so that's covered. Let's see...well, there's this, and this and this. And, of course, this. Don't worry, they're all mostly PG links. I'm supposed to view this as a "family" blog and so can't add a link to the other "activities" for leave. It's all good. Some folks think they know what the internet is for (NB: this is a funny link, but relatively inappropriate...you know me).

So, what's going on otherwise? Basically I'm preparing things for a temporary replacement. Essentially, I'm preparing the foundations of my continuity binder. The collection of knowledge and "5killz" I've accumulated over the time spent here. My intent is to give my replacement more than what I was given. Now, my predecessor did an excellent hand over, so I have my work cut out for me. Right now, the hand off consists of a series of "how to" guides, which are step by step instructions, with pictures, of how to do the different things I do in Access Control. I realize this is backwards for folks like me (ie, most AGRs), but knowledge and ability are no good unless I can pass them on to someone else. The idea here is not to horde information, but to make it public and available to lots of others, so I can go on to bigger and better things and crack the code somewhere else.

As usual, I'm working out. This was a tough week for that, as I woke up last Sunday with a knot in my right deltoids the size of Texas. Needless to say, working it out was not easy. My eventual solution was to get a whole bunch of hand warmers from supply and duct tape one inside my t-shirt just over the knot. Slow heat works every time for me, and a couple days and nights of that I was up and running again. Shaving becomes a whole new adventure when I can't tilt my head up at all. I had to ditch the Merkur for a week in favor of something that pivots on its own and doesn't need my undivided attention. Not to worry, I have plenty of time to continue mastering it.

Other than that, just tying up whatever loose ends I can, avoiding the ever present drama from 3ACR (I could write a book about the drama), and am otherwise ready to go home and spend some time with Kim. See, here's where I want to complain about the cav drama we have here. Problem is, complaining won't make it go away. To be blunt, it's just stupid: he said this to him or her, and they thought that, so we did this, etc. And just way too sensitive. Anyhow, it is what it is. It's helped me to understand mainly how to pull the drama and emotion out of issues and see what really needs to happen, and to understand what matters and what doesn't. Unfortunately, those lessons shouldn't come from any one institution's culture. I've learned, and have begun to put those lessons into practice, which is what it's all about. I go back to one of my original philosophies, modified: I don't care what patch or tab or spurs you have, if you can't help get my unit to a theater of operations and back again, all of those cool tabs and patches and spurs do you (and me) no good.

Enjoy!

No comments: