Thursday, April 17, 2008

ACUs and Working out

Second post this week, I must be on a roll. Actually, I woke up late (0530), still called Kim...this is a good story...and decided to use some time to post. OK, calling. So I get internet hooked up despite habib's best efforts at poor customer service (you'd think that in dealing with a customer base that's ARMED with LIVE AMMO, they'd be more circumspect...apparently not), get yahoo phone paid (Skype didn't want to take my money), and FINALLY get a headset (yet another item to add to The List), I call my wife. Now, being that we're all sharing some form of satellite internet here, we have limited bandwidth. Oddly enough, some of the joes still think it's OK to hog it with online gaming. So, thanks to the g@m3rz, I can't call at night. Or post. Or access the internet. No worries, I can get up at 5 and call my wife. Honestly, it's a better time anyhow. And I need to get up and work out. On a good day now, I get up at 5, hit coffee, call Kim, then go hit the gym. It works for me.

Speaking of working out, instead of a treadmill, I decided to get on an elliptical trainer. It was really a matter of convenience - the BDOC "minigym" is closer to the can than the "big gym" and that's what we have in there (besides a ton of weights, which is very nice). It. Kicked. My. Butt. I can go a decent half hour on a treadmill. The elliptical was a challenge. Different muscles, different cadence, just different. Good, but tough. I know a guy who has to train on an elliptical, as his knees won't take running. I was skeptical at first, but am sold. Definitely won't do it each time, but it's a good, viable option, especially since I don't plan on doing marathon training here.

Great thing here - the Quartermaster has a sew shop. It's great! I take a set of ACUs in, tell them which velcro is worn out, show them the ripped crotches (the new ACUs were poorly made) and they fix all that. For FREE. FREE. Pretty cool. My next project involves adding MOLLE straps to the issue assault pack, so I can attach a better set of pouches to it. We'll see if these guys are up to it. Oh yeah, Dad, get this - a whole shop of men sewing. And the Army trained them to do it. Figured you'd like that one...

ACUs, the mighty ACUs. For me, this uniform is a collection of dichotomies. First, when we had the BDU, we had a ton of buttons. Folks then would sometimes remove buttons and replace them with velcro. No lie. Personally, I took two buttons off of each set of trousers - the forward cargo pocket button. Usually I would have stuff hanging down against my legs in the field and would end up with bruises thanks to stuff rubbing against the buttons. Then, the Army comes out with the ACU, and folks want buttons back. Apparently we can't make up our minds. Now, I realize the camo pattern doesn't really blend with ANY environment we operate in, but that's OK. I like not having to maintain, literally, two sets of uniforms, field gear, helmet covers, hats, etc. One set is good. I do wish the Army would figure out that we need a goretex parka with a zip in fleece liner. I know we can get all that commercially, but as an issue item, it would be nice. True, it makes sense, but the field gear I've seen recently has been leaning greatly towards common sense items. Right now, I prefer the ACUs, velcro notwithstanding. Not having to iron, starch, and sew on patch sets is a HUGE boon. And having boots that we don't have to spend time polishing, also most excellent. Keep in mind, I can do both of those things with the best of them, and folks who've known me can attest to that. Problem is, it all takes time and it all ends up with the soldier serving the uniform instead of the other way 'round. Can't have that.

So, we've had dust storms (which are most unpleasant) the last two days. As a result, enemy activity is way down. I hate to quote Paul here, but the enemy is a fair weather fighter. Fight when the weather's bad, and they have their heads down due to blowing dust and sand? Nope, can't do that, it's too uncomfortable. Oh, they're dangerous, make no mistake. But they are neither soldiers nor professionals.

Enjoy!

No comments: